Certification for Responsible Peatland Management
The Certification for Responsible Peatland Management- an international first – guarantees the application of good management practices in all aspects of sustainable development.
The Certification is an annex to the Veriflora® Standard, a North American certification system in sustainable development in floriculture and horticulture. The program is under the authority of SCS Global Services (SCS), a global third-party certifier and one of the most recognized in North America.
The sector-specific goals of the Responsible Peatland Management Certification are:
- To restore carbon accumulating wetland ecosystems;
- To reduce the environmental footprint in peat moss production;
- To stimulate innovation;
- To establish a path for continuing improvement;
- To favor horticultural and other biological uses of peat moss; and
- To support cost-effective uses of value-added by-products that result in the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions.
All members of the Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss Association adhere to a Preservation and Reclamation Policy and to guidelines that encourage harmonious cohabitation with the communities where they operate and continuous improvement of their practices.